Our latest aquaponics system has been running for about a week with fish. We planted several items about 4 days ago and are already seeing tremendous new growth. Here are the things we’ve planted.
- Okra – Heirloom, 8 plants
- Zucchini – 1 plant
- Cayenne Pepper – 4 plants
- Jalapeno – 4 plants
- 4 types of tomato plants – Bush Goliath, Chocolate Cherry, Marglobe and Patio
- Crookneck Squash – 3 plants
- Cucumber – 6 plants
- Japanese Eggplant
- Red Grapes – We are very curious to see how well these do. Never tried them before
- Red Sweet Pepper – 2 plants
- Yellow Sweet Pepper – 1 plant
- Herbs – We also planted a few herbs. 1 Stevia (A natural sweetener, we want to see if we can get away from using too much sugar in our gourmet dishes). 1 Italian Oregano and 1 Cinnamon Basil.
- Strawberry – 1 plant
- We also have a garlic bulb in our media. This is an experiment but we suspect it won’t turn out so well. Some root based plants do not work in aquaponics but we will keep you posted.
Our next update on the growth patterns of the new plants will be video so you can see the amazing EasyPonix system in action. With our systems we cheat a little bit because we kick start them with fish water and fish poop right out of the gate.
We will be planting some lettuce and spinach in the next few days. Right now they are seedlings and just starting to sprout. So we will transplant them when the roots are a bit longer.
Posted under: Blog